4 full days of kayaking experience with the guide throughout off the beaten path in Moldova. Feel the medieval history, enjoy beauty and shade of natural reservations and meet local’s culture by seeing real Moldovan hospitality!
The tour starts by picking up the participants in Chisinau, wherefrom participants are transported up the river to Sanatauca or Japca monastery. We will stay overnight in a unique place of Moldova, where the Silk Road was going north and east. Vadul Rascov for centuries was the border village, where trading between larger regions was made. This is one of the reasons why a few hundred years ago about 90% of the population of Vadul Rascov were Jewish people. Before the electric dump in Dubasari was built in 1955, here was a unique place where you could do fording over the river without going off the horse.
Just across the river, there is established the Rascov village (it is in Transnistria, we do not go there) with less than 2.000 inhabitants and churches with 3 different religions: Synagogue, Orthodox & Catholic churches. From the Dacian language, Rascov means a pocket of money, which would mean you have to leave some money here.
Some streets in the center of the village are still stone-made for hundreds of years ago. Just to compare, in Moldova’s capital Chisinau at that time, there were no stone-made streets.
Vadul-Rascov village is located about 160 km from Chisinau, and the last 50 km of the road is challenging. Depending on the group decision route could be shortened by starting from Japca Monastery or starting in Sanatauca + 7 km. The route goes all the way down the river through Șoldanesti district, and the team will stay overnight in authentic rural houses in the same garden with locals.
After Vadul Rascov, the group will be going down the river to Tarasova village. From Socola, which is part of Vadul Rascov to Tarasova there is no direct road for cars. Between these 2 villages, we will find one of the most beautiful nature reservation in Moldova: Poiana Curatura. We will have 2 hours of hiking excursion around these places. Both sides of the river have rocks with up to 150 meters high.
The second stay overnight is planned in Tarasova where you will have the opportunity to learn cooking traditional Moldovan food in the oven.
On the third day, we will be kayaking between Tarasova and Rezina. In this region, the river gets a bit larger and the flow speed is reducing. The river goes through many villages, on both banks of the river. We will stay overnight in Țipova, there will be organized transfer from Rezina to Țipova. Before moving to Tipova, we will visit Saharna Monastery, and take a bath in very cold spring. Local beliefs say if you dive 7 times in the ice-water – for one year you will not get sick.
The 4th day starts in Saharna and goes all the way to Lalova, passing Țipova from the riverside. The cave monastery from the 13th century is best seen from the riverside. This part of the river has multiple Swan families living around.
Kayaking distance: 70 km
Difficulty level: medium
Note: in case of south wind this route becomes challenging and difficulty increases to high.
Duration: 4 days & 3 nights
Accommodation: Rural Houses or Camping
The starting point will be decided depending on the group’s expectations about difficulty, overall group’s fit level and chosen by group accommodation.
- 07:30 Departure from Chisinau
- 11:00 Arriving at the starting point
- 11:10 Quick second breakfast
- 11:30 Kayaking Sanatauca – Vadul Rascov 18 km
- 15:00 Lunch in Vadul Rascov
- 15:30 Excursion in the village
- Check-in to stay over night houses;
- Excursion around houses, leaving the luggage
- Excursion to local museum of the village
- Jewish heritage tour including medieval cemetery visit.
- 20:00 Dinner & home made wine tasting
- free time
Day 2: 18 km kayaking
- 08:00 Breakfast
- 09:00 Kayaking to the Cave monastery in Socola village
- excursion up the hill to the monastery
- 11:00 kayaking to the Natural Reservation
- 12:00 Hiking tour to Natural Reservation;
- Unique in Moldova open mineral water spring
- 300 years old caves
- 13:30 picnic lunch in the Reservation
- 14:00 Kayaking to Tarasova (12 km)
- 15:00 Arriving to Tarasova
- 17:00 Cooking master-classes for Moldovan oven made Placinta with homemade wine tasting
- 19:00 Dinner
- 08:00 Breakfast
- 09:00 Kayaking to Rezina city
- 12:00 Picnic style lunch on the way
- 14:00 Arriving to Rezina
- 15:00 Excursion to Saharna Monastery, taking bath in the cold-spring bath
- 18:00 arriving to Tipova & Accomodation
- 18:30 Dinner in Tipova
- Excursion to the valley, Tipova waterfalls
- free time
- 08:00 Breakfast
- 09:30 Start kayaking from Saharna
- 11:30 Arriving to Tipova, Excursion to Monastery.
- 12:30 Lunch in Tipova
- 14:00 Kayaking to Lalova
- 15:30 Arriving to Lalova
- 16:00 Departure to Old Orhei
- 18:00 Excursion in Old Orhei (Butuceni, Trebujeni)
- 19:00 Dinner in Eco resort Butuceni
- 21:00 Departure to Chisinau
- 22:00 Arriving to Chisinau
The average speed on the water is about 2 to 2.5 km/hour.
When route finishes, each participant gives the back kayak in a clean form and helps to carry it to the trailer.
Itinerary could be adjusted to fit into your schedule, airport pickup and transfer could be arranged. See other custom tours to suggest your wishes. Cycling & Kayaking mixed tours could be arranged on request.
Before the group starts the instructions are done and each participant is trained:
- how to get into the kayak;
- how to get out of the kayak;
- how to pedal correctly;
- how to turn left-right;
- rules on who is sitting in the back and in the front;
- how to stop and park the kayak;
What is included:
- Medical insurance
- Instructor & Guide
- Food & water along the way
- Instructions for kayking
- Transportation with kayaks back to Sanatauca, Tipova and back to Chisinau
- Entrance ticket & Professional Guide in Tipova Monastery
- Tents, sleeping bags, and everything you need for camping
- Dry bags transportation in the car while group is on the water.
What to take with you
Kayaking means exposure to the sun almost the whole day. We recommend that you make sure you have the following things with you:
- swimsuit and sun cream – where you want to catch a beautiful tan! or long-sleeved shirt and long pants if you want to protect yourself from the sun;
- hat, sun protection cap (hat is preferred, to cover neck and ears);
- comfortable shoes to get into the water with her;
- anti-tanning cream (only if you plan to stay overnight somewhere);
- sun cream;
- warm clothes for the evening;
- bottle o water;
- water gloves (as desired);
- zip-lock package, or something against the risk of getting into the water for your cell phone / camera.
Food & drinking water
We take responsibility to arrange the drinking water and food along all the way. Please indicate your food preference when registering.
Alcohol & drugs
Any form of alcohol consumption on the river, or getting in the kayak being drunk is strictly prohibited, and the money paid for the tour are not returned.
Standard groups are up to 17-20 people. In case of 40+ people, the estimation might be seriously different.
The maximum number of attendees we can process: 120 persons on kayaks + 50 bicycles (see cycling tours).
Environmental & Social Responsibility